Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Of Missy and Fawns- Part 1

I was looking over some of my past posts and I saw a couple with a doe I call "Missy."  I only mentioned her a little bit in each, and I called her "by-now-famous."  Well, she's not if you don't know her!  Many of you will think I'm crazy that I'm writing about a post about one particular deer, but hear me out.

So, last year around this time, I had gotten some pictures of this one doe, the biggest on the property as I'd seen.  After getting tired of calling her "the big doe" I just called her "Missy", a name that I had no particular reason for choosing, it just came to mind.


After I had gotten multiple pictures of her, I realized that she had two fawns with her as well.  Like their momma, nice and healthy.  So now, I was even more interested in watching Missy and her fawns.  And that's what I did, I watched them grow.



I was able to track her because of the dark spot on her shoulder
Sometimes Missy and her fawns would come multiple times a night. Anyway, not long after this 8/30 picture, I had a personal encounter with the fawns.  I was going down to put more corn in the feeder, and I got a surprise, the fawns were there.  I was able to get within 20 feet of them. They ran away, but I knew they wouldn't go far and that they'd be back, and sure enough:

Fawns eating

I "scare" the fawns away


Ta'da!  They're back!
As the time went on, I kept getting more pictures of them.  I even got one of her nursing a fawn.
Apparently Missy doesn't mind sharing with a raccoon.
I think this is the best trail cam picture I've ever gotten.
I think that's it for now, next I'll share about November 2014 till now!

No comments:

Post a Comment