Monday, December 9, 2013

Take a Leaf Survey

I took a leaf survey a few days ago.  I found I had these tree's in my area:

  1. Beech
  2. White Oak
  3. Red Oak
  4. Chestnut Oak
  5. Sweetgum
  6. Hickory
Pines and cedars were obvious.  But here is how I did it and why I did it.

How
I took a walk in the woods.  And I collected leaves from several different areas.  So I got to see what tree is where.

Why
I wanted to see what tree's were where by looking at their leaves.  That way, I knew where to go to hunt.  Or, if you don't do that, you can know where to go to observe wildlife.  Oaks provide food for deer, squirrels, and probably more.  Hickory provides food for squirrels, it's one of their favorite nuts.

In all, taking the survey helped me know more about my woods, and what's there.  If you manage wildlife, you can know where to apply fertilizer (or help in some way) to mast providing trees to increase their production of nuts and fruits for wildlife.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment